THE HOSTESS HOUSE

We learn with interest that the New York Times has been able to find cause for merriment at the expense of the University by an arraignment of the Hostess House. It is always a pleasure to be able to give others pleasure but in some cases this felicity is tinged with a certain degree of seriousness. We do not pretend to guess to what extent the Times meant its remarks, reprinted below, but the fact remains that such an editorial can go a long way in creating a false impression of Harvard in places beyond the confines of the Yard.

It is highly unfortunate, but nevertheless true, that any new idea evolved in connection with the University, however unofficial, bears the Harvard stamp. Once, when a man who had registered as a Freshman and left within three days was killed in an unfortunate accident, though this occurred ten years later, the newspapers referred to the incident as that of "Another Harvard Man Gone Wrong."

Nobody will deny the good intentions of the ladies of Cambridge in their endeavors to help the undergraduates, but the result of their efforts has been detrimental to the University. No college man wants to be "Mothered", still less does he hanker after fudge and a place where his buttons may be sewn on. Civilian life with all its freedom is quite a different thing from the restrictions of military or naval life. The well-intentioned ladies have misinterpreted the needs and requirements of the students.

The whole episode is scarcely worth mentioning except for the influence of such editorials as that of the Times. We thank the ladies for their good intent and trust that they may find another field for the expression of their goodwill; but a "candy-Kitchen" never will prove a success at Harvard.