WOODLAND GOLFERS WON 4-0

WALES AND LAKE UNIVERSITY LEADERS; BRAEBURN MATCH WEDNESDAY.

In a heavy rain Thursday, the Woodland Country Club defeated the University golf team by a score of 4 to 0. Of the six matches, two were a tie, while the other four went easily to the Country Club players. J. B. Mahoney '19, T. Ashley, of Woodland, L. Liggett ocC., and J. Gahan, of Woodland, provided the most interesting matches. Francis Ouimet, captain of the Woodland Club, and formerly national open champion, although scheduled to meet Captain R. H. Wales '19, was unable to play, his place being taken by Jesse Guilford. The latter was hard pushed by the University captain, their respective scores being 85 and 87. One of the features of the match were the exceedingly long drives made by H. S. Lake '20, which almost gave him his match over Lawrence, the Woodland player. The summary follows:

J. Guilford, Woodland, won from R. H. Wales '19, one up; V. S. Lawrence, Woodland, won from H. S. Lake '20, 5 and 3; T. Ashley, Woodland, tied with J. B. Mahoney '19; F. B. Elliot, Woodland, won from N. Baker '20, 3 and 1; J. Gahan, Woodland, tied with L. B. Liggett ocC.; H. B. Spicer, Woodland, won from L. B. Wells '19, one up.

Next week, a series of match plays will be run off to determine a definite team of six men. The next match on the University's schedule is on Wednesday, with the Braeburn Country Club, at Newton. A Freshman team is also being formed, and an temporary captain will be oppointed after this week's play.