SQUAD OF FORTY REPORTS AT BASKETBALL MEETING

MANAGER CANDIDATES OUT TODAY

Over forty men reported yesterday to Coach Wachter for the first basketball practice of the season. The initial workout consisted of fundamental drill such as handling, passing and following the ball. No formation practice was attempted and probably will not be for a week or more.

Before practice started Coach Wachter spoke to the men concerning his plans for the coming season. He said that above all men must keep in strict training and perfect physical condition all the time and there must be no absences. There will be close observance and interpretation of the rules to avoid fouling in the games. Coach Wachter expressed himself as being very optimistic over the basketball outlook at the University and thinks that with the material on hand a good quintet can be produced. There will be no cut for a week or so but because of the limited space in the Hemenway Gymnasium a large squad cannot be retained.

The men picked for the first squad yesterday were: H. B. Tyson, captain of last year's yearling quintet, K. A. Buchanan '21, A. E. McLeish '23 of the 1923 five, H. E. Feiring '23, H. Holt '21, T. C. McConnell '21, and S. B. Chase '22. Among the other men who reported were: J. M. Hartley, G. F. Barker, N. Tishman J. Pallo of last year's Freshman squad, H. C. Janin '22, and C. A. C. Eastman '23.

Coach Wachter again said that he hoped that several football men would come out within the week for the basketball work is beneficial to football players inasmuch as it makes them more alert and active and improves their passing game.

More assistant manager candidates are needed and any men intending to go out should report at the Hemenway Gymnasium today at three o'clock.