COACH WACHTER

In the selection of Edward Wachter as coach in charge of University basketball for the coming season, the athletic committee is most fortunate. Mr. Wachter is an expert admirably fitted to inject life and spirit into the indoor sport as it has been revived at Harvard. With the restoration after a long lapse of years of basketball to the position of a recognized minor sport at the University, and with the active interest aroused in the game by the newly inaugurated Freshman physical training system, the appointment of a proper coach was all-important. Mr. Wachter, with twenty-two years of experience to aid him, is well calculated to fill the bill.

To build up a creditable five and train a sufficiently large and practiced squad to make such a five possible can not be the work of a few months. Despite the work done with the class of 1923 it must be several years before Harvard can be adequately represented in basketball. The enthusiasm is already aroused; much excellent material is coming in from preparatory schools every autumn; the most earnest devotees of the sport here at Cambridge could not hope for a better man to turn that enthusiasm and that material into a successful team.