SCHOOL OF EDUCATION GIVES TWENTY COURSES

START WITH $2,000,000 FUND

The first term of studies offered by the new School of Education will open on September 27 with all courses open to women as well as men. The Faculty of the school will be formed principally from the former instructors in Education, and in addition there will be a number of further appointees. These latter will, however, occupy chiefly the positions of lecturers and instructors.

In a general way the new Department of Education has as its purpose the continuation and enlargement of work carried on by the Division, and in addition, is opening its career with three distinct aims; to train inexperienced teachers and school officers; and to offer an opportunity for advanced study to experienced teachers and school officers; and to conduct a bureau of research in education. It is also planned to establish a few courses which will be open to undergraduates and which will count towards a College degree. In these courses education will be studied from the standpoint of the citizen. The school is, however, to be conducted as a strict graduate institution to which only the graduates of recognized colleges and scientific schools may gain admittance.

Offer Degree for Master of Education

The coursed offered by the school will consist of work leading to the degree of Master of Education, which may be attained after one year of resident study consisting of at least four whole courses or their equivalent. The requirements for Doctor of Education are similar to these for securing the degree of Ph.D.

Among other features which will be offered are special curricula for the principals of secondary schools, superintendents and other administrative officers, as well as playground workers and specialists in various fields of distinction. During each half year approximately 20 courses will be given in the department. As the courses offered in the Summer School are practically parallel to those in the Department of Education, a program consisting of these studies may be counted to obtain the degree of Master of Education by teachers holding positions during the remainder of the year.

Opening of Children's School Postponed

The one division of the school which will not be ready for opening in September will be the school for children, which was to have been, conducted under the auspices of the department. It is probable, however, that this school will be inaugurated in the fall of 1921.

Starting with an endowment of $2,000,000, the Department of Education is established on a firm basis. Five hundred thousand dollars of this money was contributed by the General Education Board, which has its headquarters in New York, and similar sum was set aside by the University from the funds which were being used for advancement of the Division of Education. The amount of $200,000 was collected by the overseers' committee for the department, and the balance of the sum was secured through private subscription.

Teachers have been trained in the University since 1891, when Professor Paul H. Hanus was appointed Assistant Professor of the History and Art of Teaching. By 1906 the scope of the courses offered in the field of education had grown to such an extent that a Division of Education was created as a subdivision of the Department of Arts and Sciences. For the first time in 1896 the degree of Master of Arts was offered, based on progress in studies lying within the field of Education. A further advance in this direction was made in 1905, when the first degree of Doctor was conferred in this field.