PROSPECTS FOR NEXT TENNIS SEASON GOOD

Past Year Has Been Eminently Successful--Captain L. A. deTurenne '21 Defeated But Once

The following article is the first of a series of sport forecasts and reviews to be published in the CRIMSON this spring. The outlook for next year and the history of the current season will be discussed for all spring sports. In addition, the prospects for next year in the more important fall and winter sports will be analyzed.

Prospects are bright for next year's University team, in spite of the loss of Ex-Captain Helm and D. P. Robinson Jr. '20 by graduation. The former will be succeeded by the newly-elected leader, L. A. deTurenne '21, who played No. 2 this year with but one defeat, by Banks of Yale in the Harvard-Yale match., and who holds the doubles championship of the University, and was runner-up in the University singles tournament last fall. He is also the State Champion of Washington. J. B. Fenno Jr. '21 and C. H. Hyams 3d '21, the next two members of the team, are expected to return to college this fall. Besides being fast individual players, these two men form an especially strong doubles combination and have been largely instrumental in the University's victories. R. N. Bradley '22, the sixth man on the team, has been playing a consistently powerful game, and was responsible for one of the two matches won by the Crimson in the Yale contest, Robinson being the other University victor.

Freshman Material Excellent

Several men from the Freshman team are also strong possibilities for next year's University sextet. Captain M. Duane has been starring for his team all the season and is the largest point-win- ner on the squad. At St. George's School, where he prepared for college, he was the outstanding player. J. D. Farnham is another fast courtier who has accounted for many of the team's high scores this year, and was the mainstay of the Exeter sextet last year. A. D. Knox, who during the first of the season was a strong member of the team, but has since been prevented from playing outside matches by academic difficulties, will also be a strong contender for University honors. He was the Interscholastic champion last spring. G. C. Guild, No. 3 on the team, should also make a good bid for the team with his high record this year.

216 Entered University Tournament

An unusual amount of interest has been shown during the whole year in both Freshman and University tennis. Beginning last fall, when 216 men entered the University tennis tournament, the largest in the history of the sport at Harvard, record numbers of aspirants have reported for play. The singles tournament was distinguished by many close matches, and was finally won by R. L. Lipman 3L., who defeated L. A. deTurenne '21, captain of the University team for 1920-1921, in the finals. With deTurenne, Lipman also holds the University doubles championship.

At the end of the fall tournament, Captain G. W. Helm '20 announced a program of informal practice at Divinity Field, lasting until he beginning of cold weather. Early in the year the University squad took up more informal practice in the covered courts at Longwood, continuing until after the April recess, and when the outdoor workouts could be resumed.

Southern Trip Brings Only One Defeat

Prepared by this long period of playing, the team was phenomenally successful on its long Southern trip, and in every match played until the last two weeks of the season. On its Southern invasion, the team won four matches, tied one, and lost only one, out of a total of six, the seventh, with Annapolis, being cancelled on account of rain. Other victories were gained over Tufts, Brown, Pennsylvania, Cornell, M. I. T., Pittsburg and the Freshmen. A match with the Providence Tennis Club, on whose team were William T. Tilden, prominent national player; Arnold Jones, and W. W. Ingraham, winner of this year's Interscholastics, ended with a defeat for the University, 6-4. Before the strong West Side Tennis Club of New York, the Longwood Cricket Club, and finally, before Princeton and Yale, the Crimson succumbed.

The complete record of the team follows:

Agawam Hunt Club 3, Harvard 2; Richmond Country Club 0, Harvard 9; Norfolk Country Club 2, Harvard 7; Chevy Chase Country Club 2, Harvard 7; Baltimore Country Club 2, Harvard 7; Philadelphia Cricket Club 4, Harvard 4; Tufts 0, Harvard 6; Brown 0, Harvard 6; Pennsylvania 3, Harvard 6; Providence Tennis Club 6, Harvard 4; Cornell 2, Harvard 4; M. I. T. 0, Harvard 6; Pittsburg 0, Harvard 6; Princeton 5, Harvard 4; West Side Tennis Club 7, Harvard 2; Longwood Cricket Club 6, Harvard 2; Yale 7, Harvard 2; California 5, Harvard 1.

Steadiness Team's Strong Point

The team is noteworthy more for its steadiness and balance than for any individual stars, L. A. deTurenne '21 has piled up the strongest record of any member of the team being undefeated all the season until the Yale match, in which Banks barely demonstrated his superiority. Ex-Captain Helm also played a strong game, and the long-standing combination of J. B. Fenno Jr. '21 and C. H. Hyams 3d '21 proved efficacious in the doubles.

Yearlings Lose Only Twice

Only two defeats were suffered by the strong Freshman sextet during its season--a 7-2 fall before the Eli yearlings, and an uncompleted 4-3 contest against Exeter. Led by Captain M. Duane, a former St. George's star, the team was one of the fastest in years. The yearlings' scores were as follows:

English High School 0, 1923 9; Andover 4, 1923 5; St. John's Prep 0, 1923 5; Country Day 0, 1923 6; Exeter 4, 1923 3; Worcester Academy 0, 1923 6; Brookline High 2, 1923 3; Milton 0, 1923 5; M. I. T. 1923 3, Harvard 1923 4; Yale 1923 7, Harvard 1923 2