UPPERCLASS ATHLETICS

This year almost every one of the six hundred members of the class of 1923 has been engaging in some form of exercise. For the most part this exercise has been participation in competitive athletics. The Department of Physical Training has successfully begun its work.

But the return of these six hundred men next fall as Sophomores, who have been accustomed to exercise regularly in their first year, complicates the situation which the already harassed athletic authorities must meet. Although as yet the limit of accommodation for teams of every kind has not been met the margin is not broad enough to satisfy the growing demand. Three years from now, when every class in the college has received the benefit of the compulsory training system and has gained the habit of regular exercise, the gymnasiums and fields, with their present equipment, will be insufficient.

If upperclassmen are to have the same opportunities for exercise that they have had in their first year, it is imperative that the athletic facilities of the University be increased. Adequate gymnasium space must be supplied, more swimming pools made available, diamonds, gridirons and tennis courts laid out on Soldiers Field and more rowing equipment purchased. It is not too early for those in charge of providing for undergraduate athletics to turn their attention in this direction. Failing a proper solution of this problem, a great part of the work done each year by the Department of Physical Education will have been in vain.