WEST POINT WILL GIVE NO MENTAL EXAMINATIONS

218 Vacancies at Military Academy Causes Lowering of Requirements--Men Wanted

Throughout the remainder of this year no mental examinations will be required of candidates seeking appointment to the United States Military Academy at West Point, according to announcement made by the Adjutant General of the Army. On the contrary, all appointees who are able to qualify by certificate will be admitted July 1, subject, of course, to their passing the regular physical examination.

This change in entrance qualifications is due to the fact that at present there are 218 vacancies at the academy which are unprovided with qualified candidates from the various States and Congressional Districts.

Since the Secretary of War is very desirous of filling all these vacancies this year, it has been determined that in many cases the application of a member of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps, when accompanied by a recommendation from the Professor of Military Science at the University, will receive favorable consideration by the member of Congress concerned. In this case, however, each candidate must be a resident of the State or Congressional District from which he desires to be appointed, and should make application by wire directly followed by a letter to the Senator or Representative in Congress who had the vacancy at his disposal.