CRIMSON SEPTET FORCED TO LIMIT BY M. A. C. OUTFIT

CAPTAIN McCARTHY DRIVING-POWER OF M. A. C. MACHINE

Battling with the speediest offense it has met this winter the University hockey seven made good a narrow escape from disaster on the Arena ice last night, defeating the Massachusetts Agricultural team by a 2-0 margin. Goals by Owen and Captain Bigelow in the final ten minutes of play saved the game for the Crimson.

Although the visitors, who have never caged a puck in a contest with Harvard since hockey became a major sport at Cambridge, failed to tally once during the three periods, the fight was nip-and-tuck all the way. Captain Justin McCarthy, right wing for the Blue and White, was the most active skater on the ice, driving down the rink and smashing the Crimson defense time and again. Rugged checking by Owen and Humphrey, and shifty foot and stick play on the part of Captain Bigelow were effective in keeping the M. A. C. forwards from pressing Holmes too hard.

Visitors' Team-Play Deficient

Team work was the ultimate factor which kept the Crimson slate clean, and to a lack of this essential must be attributed the failure of Coach Mansell's line to snap the puck home. During the closing minutes of play the Agricultural seven had a half-dozen chances to score which were spoiled by bunching-up and inability to maintain a passing game.

The first two periods were replete with reversals, both teams sharing the honors. Although neither Newell nor Holmes were overworked, the defense men on each side were the butt of slashing attacks. Collins and Poole for M. A. C. made a number of spectacular dashes up the ice only to be checked at the hands of the Crimson backs. McCarthy for the Amherst men was everywhere, and seconded by Mansell, rover and coach on the visiting seven, headed a scoring combination which seemed to outclass for a time the University.

Owen First to Tally

Owen opened the fireworks in the third session with a romp through the entire "Aggie" team, slipping a tally past Newell one minute and forty seconds from the bell. Six minutes later Bigelow twisted past the opposing skaters for a neat shot to the corner of the cage.

Despite the evident fact that the University maintained an unblemished record. Coach William H. Claflin will find little cause for rejoicing in the result. The M. A. C. team was outpointed by Dartmouth last, week by only a single goal, and if the Crimson is to put up a stiff struggle Saturday against the Green outfit, the seven must show more than it had last night. Only for a short time did last year's intercollegiate champions reveal top-season form, and never once was their ascendency firmly established.

The summary: HARVARD  M. A. C. Bacon, l.w.  r.w., McCarthy Buntin, Suelling, l.e.  r.c. Lyons Bigelow, r.c.  l.c., Mansell Emmons, Baker, r.w.  l.w., Snow, Gordon Owen, c.p.  c.p., Collins Humphrey, p.  p., Poole Holmes, g.  g., Newell

Score, Harvard 2, Massachusetts Agricultural College O. Goals, Owen, Bigelow, Penalty, Collins, tripping. Referees, George Gaw and 'Ernie Doody. Goal Referees, Edwards and Laroche, Time, three twelve-minute periods.