UNIVERSITY FIVE OVERWHELMS TUFTS BY 53-22 SCORE

TALLY ALL BUT FOUR OF TEAM'S TWENTY-TWO GOALS

Tufts was overwhelmed by the University basketball five by a 53-22 score last evening in Hemenway Gymnasium. Although the score might imply an easy victory for the University, the game was replete with thrills, and the Tufts team did not bow down without a hard fight. Due not to fall or roughness, but to overexertion, Captain Sampson of Tufts was taken from the game with a head injury near the end of the game.

R. W. Fitts '23 and J. Pallo '23, the Crimson's last pair of forwards, put up an offensive game which for speed and teamwork was remarkable. They scored between them eighteen baskets from the floor, of a total of twenty-two scored by the team. Pallo, also, made nine points in goals from the foul line. Fitts is the fastest man on the team and excells in down-the-floor work and passing. Pallo, although small and very light, is aggressive and teams well with Fitts. The University defensive work made the opposing teams' shots very erratic and continually forced tries from mid-floor.

Until taken out, Captain Sampson was the mainstay of his team. Downes and Rounds showed casual flashes. The defense, however was weak and the men did not work well together.

Coach Wachter's men let out at the start, Fitts and Pallo scoring soon after the whistle. Downes scored a little later but then a series of baskets was chalked up by the Crimson; one coming from an almost miraculous back-hand shot of Fitts. The score stood 29-10 at the first period. Tufts put up its best game at the start of the second half, holding the University scoreless for five minutes, but then the Fitts-Pallo combination got started again. Towards the end of the period the passing of both teams became erratic and weaker. Substitutes were sent in by Tufts but the game ended before they accomplished much.

The line-ups: UNIVERSITY.  TUFTS. Fitts, r.f.  l.f., Downes, Pickett Pallo, l.f.  r.f., Cohen, Entwistle, Upton Tyson, McLeish, c.  c., Rounds, Telfer Feiring, Miller, r.g.  l.g., Berlin, Hopkins Tolbert, l.g.  r.g., Sampson, Killam

Baskets from floor, Pallo 10, Fitts 8, Tyson 3, Feiring, Downes 3, Rounds 2, Cohen. Goals from fouls, Pallo 9, Sampson 9, Pickett. Referee, Coady. Umpire, Shea. Timekeeper, Lincoln. Time, 20-minute halves.