"IT IS MORE BLESSED--"

Over the signature of Charles W. Eliot comes an appeal for aid in the Near East Relief. His name alone should be sufficient to make every Harvard man wish to contribute; the cause itself, one of the most heart-compelling appeals of all time, makes a refusal impossible. To most of us the idea of starvation, lack of clothing, and lack of shelter are so far from actual experience that we can scarcely appreciate what they mean. Yet it is a grim fact that scores of Armenian children are dying daily from lack of shelter and nourishment; while one hundred and ten thousand others during the past year have been saved only by the efforts of the Near East Relief. If these thousands are to be given another year of life, if the hundreds of others who cannot now be cared for are to have aid, this year's fund must be subscribed to the limit.

Throughout the centuries, innocent Armenia has been the victim of the world's worst treatment. It is the oldest Christian community in the world; most of its suffering have arisen from its firm faith. America, always proud of its humanitarianism, has a particular reason for interest in Armenia. Having refused as a nation the political responsibility for its government, the least we can do as individuals is to contribute to this human cause. Christmas with us is a time of spending and enjoyment; it will be a small matter for most of us to spare something for the fund. Five dollars will buy a box of candy to be devoured and forgotten in a week; five dollars will also save a child's life for a month. Which is the better bargain?