THE SPORT SCRIBE AT WORK

In another column will be found a paragraph from an article by Laurence Perry entitled "A Sport 'writer Confesses". It reveals an attitude towards amateur sport that is unusual among writers. Times have changed, says Mr. Perry, since the day when a sport scribe was rejected from Red Top as a spy; now he is invited to join the coach on the river. He is not longer required to supply thrills for his readers but to write from the point of view of an expert. He is recognized as an authority in his line by coaches and athletes as well as interested spectators.

The natural consequence is that he must look on his profession in a new light. When he talks football he must include not only a knowledge of the gridiron jargon, but an understanding of the commercial aspect which threatens the game; if it is rowing or track he must remember that in them "There exist opportunities for the promulgation of the international relationship whose recently appreciated significance has utterly changed their character as mere sport and made them important adjuncts to statecraft and diplomacy". His task has expanded beyond the realm of common reporter so that today it is of such significance that Mr. Perry feels justified in saying that there are few sport writers who "recognized their stewardship in respect to the ethics and morals of amateur sport".

As an example of what a man in this profession must face, Mr. Perry recalls how one writer was convinced that a certain institution was using methods which were prejudicial to his best interests in order to win a football game from its rival. He wrote fearlessly and checked the practise--but as a result is "persona non grate to the football faculty of that institution and is set down as a man merely intent upon venting personal grievances."

All this is a new situation in amateur sport circles. Thew writer of today has far reaching influence; his work may do so much good or harm, to collegiate athletics especially, that Mr. Perry asks his profession to take itself and what it is doing seriously. We know that he is only one of many sport writers who have the best interests of the colleges at heart. If any one of Mr. Perry's profession, in following his advice, sets down fearlessly what he believes is the truth about problems of amateur athletics--and that today is part of his work--he deserves nothing but the sincerest cooperation on our part.