HARRIERS AND TRACK MEN START PRACTICE

Over One Hundred Candidates Report to Coaches Bingham and Farrell for Cross-Country Work--Eighty Men Out for Track

At the first meeting of the season of track candidates, held yesterday afternoon at 2.30 o'clock, about eighty men reported to Coaches Bingham and Farrell and, an hour and a half later, over one hundred men were present at the cross-country meeting.

Coach Bingham spoke to both squads, and told of the plans for the work. Most of the cross-country practice will be on the new Cambridge course which has been laid out along the Charles River. This course has been so arranged that various sections may be left out or put in, so that the course may be lengthened as the runners round into form. At first the work will be light, the men being sent over a four-mile course at an easy pace; but in a short while the University and Freshman squads will be separated, and the work will be made stiffer. The first time trials will be held in about two weeks, and training tables will be established soon after.

According to present plans, only two trips a week will be made to Belmont. The Belmont course provides better training for runners but because of the inconvenience of taking a large squad, it has been deemed advisable to have only the best men on the University and 1925 squads make the trip. Coach Bingham expressed satisfaction with the size of the squad, but said that more runners were wanted, especially Freshmen.

Beginning today the track candidates will be divided into squads, according to events, and will report on the field at the following times: sprinters, 2.45; hurdlers, 2.30; quarter-milers, 2.40; half-milers, 2.50; milers, 3.00; shot-putters, pole-vaulters, high-jumpers, broad-jumpers, discus and javelin throwers, 3.00; hammer-throwers, 3.30. The distance runners are to practice with the cross-country squad. The track work this fall will consist chiefly of drill in fundamentals. There will be little actual competition, and most of the time will be spent in improving the form of the runners and field event men.

Coach Bingham Speaks to Runners

In speaking to the runners, Coach Bingham stated that, as last year, the University's track prospects, on paper, were none too good, but said that if the men showed the proper spirit and determination, they should be able to better the performances of last year's team. He made the point that the two things which contributed more than anything else to the success of the 1921 team, were a determination on the part of the men to better in each meet the mark which they established the previous week, and a fighting spirit which never conceded a place until the race was over.

Coach Bingham introduced to the squad Mr. J. Mikkola, the coach of the 1920 Finnish Olympic team, who is to have charge of the discus and javelin throwers