UNIVERSITY TRACK MEN IN TIME TRIALS FOR ANNUAL SPRING TRIP

HANDICAP MEET FRIDAY OPEN TO ALL UNDERGRADUATES

With the exception of the majority of field-event men all members of both the University and Freshman track squads took part in trials yesterday afternoon which will play an important part in determining the men to go south on Saturday to meet the University of Virginia and the Navy during the annual spring trip. The practice today and tomorrow will be of a finishing nature leading up to the spring handicap meet on Friday. This meet, which is open to all members of the University, will be the last opportunity for Coach Bingham to judge the ability of the men before giving out the complete list that night.

The results of the trials in the running events yesterday were for the most part very satisfactory with the hurdles and the two-mile run standing out as the best contests. The trials were of an informal nature, men winning the preliminary heats often not competing in the finals, Freshmen at times competing against members of the University squad, while some of Coach Bingham's most consistent runners, among them Burke and McCarthy, did not take part in any competitive tests, but merely ran over the distances alone. With the exception of the sprints the distances were shortened to approximately three-quarters of their usual length in order not to overhasten the gradual development of the runners.

100-Yard Dash Only Sprint Event

The 100-yard dash was the only sprint event held today. The first heat was won by C. H. Wansker '23 but Coach Bingham allowed his best sprinter to go in without taking part in the final heat. C. B. L. Evans '22 and E. H. Hovey '22 won second and third places respectively in this heat while J. D. Chase '22, Vinton Chapin '23 and W. H. Churchill '23 finished in that order in the second heat. C. D. Bent '24 won the third preliminary, but failed to place in either of the final dashes. In one of these Chapin crossed the line first followed by J. B. Field '25 and S. C. Fisher '22 in that order. The other final was the closest of all the heats with Chase and Evans tied for first place and Churchill coming in even with Hovey. The last two have been on practically even terms all season and inasmuch as probably only one of them will make the southern trip, their work in the meet on Friday will be watched with particular interest. In the two Freshman trials G. E. Barker and E. H. Codman secured first places with D. B. Wilson and J. A. Abbott coming in second.

In the quarter-mile two heats were held, each over a distance of 330 yards instead of the usual 440. In the fastest of these, J. C. Kennedy '23 defeated H. W. Howe '22 with G. K. Mallory '22 coming in third, while in the other heat R. B. Smith '22 crossed the line ahead of A. T. Kent '22. The 880-yard run, over a distance of 660 yards was run in four heats, one of which was confined to Freshmen. In the first of these Otis Bartin '22 created a surprise in coming home ahead of H. F. Colt '22, who has been showing good form all season. J. W. Quinn '23 won the second heat, A. F. Jones '25, former Exeter captain, the yearling contest, while H. K. Thayer, another yearling, came home first among a field of University entries in the third preliminary.

The three-quarter mile substituted for the usual mile run was won by W. F. Eaton '22 with W. C. Benuett '23, T. B. Coolidge '23, and Campbell Newhall '24 trailing in that order. The two-mile race, shortened to a mile and a half, presented the closest finish of the afternoon's runs with A. L. Coburn Jr. '24 crossing the line only a few strides ahead of William Duane Jr. '23 and H. M. Mahon '23, who tied for second place. E. E. Schafer '24 captured the fourth position.

Two heats were held in the University high hurdles over a distance of 60 yards, half the usual length. The same four men competed in both heats and finished in the same order; C. H. Hauers '23 winning, with R. S. Whitney Jr. '22, J. P. Monks '24, and R. H. Sears '24 crossing the line in that order. Hauers' victory was unexpected in the light of Whitney's showing this year and was due in part to the fact that the latter hit his knee in the first heat and was almost limping as he reached the finish; a circumstance which undoubtedly affected his running in the second heat. The time in the Freshman races was almost as fast as in the University trials. W. B. Thomas won the first heat; S. M. Clarke and Jefferson Fletcher trailing him closely, while the second heat secured an exact reversal with Fletcher winning and Thomas last.

Coach Mikkola held informal competitions for both the javelin and discus throwers. The results were not altogether satisfactory, but were explained partly by the soft footing. In the University event R. M. C. Greenidge '24 had difficulty in winning over F. K. Kernan Jr. '24. Kernan has been showing great improvement during the last few weeks and now stands as one of the two or three possible javelin-throwers to make the spring track. R. W. Seamans '25 won the Freshman event with A. M. Stern '25 second and N. L. Hughes '25 third.

As only a few men reported for the Freshman discus throw the event was merged into the University contest. C. C. Carpenter '24 demonstrated his ability in his easy victory over W. V. Miller '23.

Coach Bingham hopes to have a large number of men report for the spring handicap meet on Friday. The handicaps will be arranged so as to give in experienced men as good a chance to capture one of the gold, silver, or bronze medals as the most consistent performer on the track squad. All men wishing to compete should enter their names in one of the blue-books posted at the H. A. A., the Freshman Dormitories, Leavitt and Peirce's, and the Locker Building