PREPARATION FOR RACES WITH CORNELL KEY-NOTE OF LONG CREW PRACTICE

THIRD UNIVERSITY EIGHT IS REORGANIZED

With the Cornell races a short five days off, the key-note of yesterday's workout for both University and Freshman crews was a keen spirit of preparation for Saturday's events when the first University and yearling eights are scheduled to go to Ithaca.

Realizing the magnitude of the task involved in developing a crew fitted to cope successfully with one of the most powerful Cornell eights in recent years, Dr. Howe gave his University combination a long row down river, stressing especially length and variety of stroke. The home paddle was taken at a single stretch, the crew hitting up a fast 28 beat most of the way back to the boathouse. As a further means of preparation for Saturday's contests, Dr. Howe is planning to send University A against the first two 1925 shells in a practice race at 5 o'clock this afternoon.

Saturday will see the second and third University crews in the American Henlay at Philadelphia, and both these combinations were given extensive practice rows yesterday.

The Junior Class crew, with one change from its line-up against Yale last Saturday, has not yet been disbanded and may be tested out against University C later in the week. It is generally felt that Coach Brown has developed in this crew a combination of unusual power and ability, one that should be able to push the third crew hard for its place at Philadelphia.

With the exception of Wiesman, who has been moved to number 2 on the first crew, with Mumford at 4 on the same shell and Curran back on the second eight, the two Freshman boats remain as seated last week. It is one of the objects of this afternoon's race to furnish a test of the respective abilities of the two crews as units, and it is probable that the one that proves the better on the basin today will be the one to represent 1925 against Cornell on Saturday.