RECOGNIZANCE

The rather persistent rumors that the Administration was seriously considering the recognition of the Soviets have been killed by the recent statements of Secretary Hughes who has set forth our stand in a determined and logical manner. International law demands, in brief, that a government must pay its debts, protect foreigners, and conform to civilized customs in general; and it is with these facts in mind that Mr. Hughes outlines in clear terms what Lenine must accomplish to gain recognition from the United States.

And how, if at all, has the Soviet regime attempted to live up to these conditions? They have constantly refused to acknowledge their debts, and their financial situation is such that there seems to be little hope for any immediate economical reconstruction. Then, too, there is the question of the communistic confiscation of property--one of the most difficult problems that the Genoa conference is now facing. It is beyond reason to expect American shippers to reestablish trade relations with Russia with the Bolshevist blockade still in operation. Russia has nothing to offer, her credit is no good, and the risk incurred by the shipper is too great.

Our hopes that the Russian people will be able to work out their own destiny and to regain in time their full economic power are sincere. But until Lenine has brought about more stable conditions and until he is willing to accept the necessary, basic demands, communistic sympathizers and propagandists have little right to ask the Administration to consider any policy of recognition.