ASSIGN TRINITY COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP TO WEEKS

Established in Honor of C. H. Fiske 3rd '19 Who Was Killed in War--Professor Ropes Resigns as Dean of Extension and Special Students

The Charles H. Fiske 3d, Scholarship a Trinity College, Cambridge, England, has been assigned for next year to Edward A. Weeks Jr. '22. The scholarship is awarded by Trinity College on the nomination of the Harvard authorities. It was established by Mr. and Mrs. Charles H. Fiske Jr. of Weston in memory of their son, C. H. Fiske 3d, '19, who was killed in the war. Weeks is secretary of the Harvard Advocate.

Sabbatical leave of absence has been granted to Professor R. B. Merriman '96 for the first half of next year, and to Professor F. J. Turner '09 for the second half. Thurman L. Hood '08 has been reappointed Secretary of the Committee on the use of English by students.

James Hardy Ropes '89, Hollis Professor of Divinity at the University, has resigned from his position as Dean of special students and Dean in charge of University extension, and Assistant Professor Arthur Fisher Whittem '02 has been appointed by the Governing Boards to succeed him.

Professor Ropes served as instructor at the University from 1856 to 1989, as assistant professor until 1903, and as Bussey, Professor of New Testament criticism and interpretation from 1903 to 1910, when he was elected to the historic Hollis professorship of divinity, which he will continue to hold. The Hollis professorship is the oldest at Harvard, having been founded in 1721. Professor Ropes has been Dean in charge of University extension since 1910 and Dean of special students since 1916.

His successor, Professor Whittem holds the title of Assistant Professor of Romance languages. He was Director of the Harvard Summer School from 1918 to 1921, and has also had experience as secretary of the administrative board for special students. In one respect his title will be slightly different from that of Dean Ropes, in that he will be called Director of University extension instead of Dean.

Abbott Payson Usher '04, Professor of Economics at Boston University, has accepted an appointment at the University as Assistant professor of Economics and tutor in the Division of History, Government, and Economics.

Professor Usher took the degree of A.M. at the University in 1905, served as assistant and instructor in Economics until 1910, and in the latter year took the higher degree of Ph.D. For the next ten years he taught at Cornell, first as instructor in Economics and later as Assistant Professor. In 1920 he has called to Boston University as a full Professor and this year he is serving also as lecturer in Economics at Harvard.