SECONDS ROW TO FIVE-LENGTH LEAD

Time for Full Course Considered Satisfactory -- First Yale Crew Leads Seconds and Freshmen

RED TOP, CONN., June 13, 1922.--Rowing a steady, if somewhat low stroke, and following Brown perfectly in the spurts, the Junior University crew forged ahead of the first eight before the mile mark was reached in a four mile race here this afternoon, and held a commanding position all the way down the course, crossing the finish line five lengths ahead in an impressive victory; the time was 20 minutes 54 seconds, considered very good despite the fact that the crews were aided by a following wind and a slight tide.

At six o'clock all the four Crimson shells lined up for a race downstream, the Freshman and combination eights to go only two miles. The object of the race was to settle clearly the relation between the two University eights, and the decisiveness of the result was thus not unsatisfactory to the coaches. No changes are contemplated, however, until after thorough consultation and possibly further trials. In the opinion of the coaches both University crews could have done better at a higher stroke.

The Yale University crew went over the four mile course later this evening four lengths ahead of the seconds at the mile mark; for the rest of the way it was paced by the Freshmen, who were beaten only by half a length in the three miles to the bridge. No times were given but Coach Corderry announced that he was pleased with the work.

The Crimson Freshmen led from the start in the University race, covering the two miles to the Submarine Base in 10 minutes 5 seconds with the combination and Junior eight practically even in second place and the first crew trailing by a length. In the next mile the Junior crew could gain little, but in the final stretch they responded well to a number of spurts and rowed away from the first eight with an impressive finish.