NOTHING BUT VICTORY

The record of Harvard-Princeton games since 1911 shows one thing above all that when the Crimson and the Orange and Black have met in the past games have not been won without a struggle; field goals and safeties have been the measure of victory or defeat. The record since the war is a familiar one. Twice, when trailing in the last period, Harvard evened the score by phenomenal marches down the field. And then after fighting Princeton to a stand-still two years ago in the Palmer Stadium and scoring a field goal in the last few minutes of play, victory was enatched from Harvard's grasp by Gillroy's spectacular run; last year with Captain Buell on the sidelipes for most of the game, another defeat was chalked up. No Harvard undergraduate during his years in College has seen the University team triumph over Princeton.

And so undergraduates and graduates are united this year in the desire to avenge Harvard's defeats. The time has passed when victory over Yale was the great essential of a successful season; this year the University would rather win against Princeton than against Yale. Wherever Harvard men have met during the past year it is the Princeton game that has been discussed, and the invariable conclusion has been that nothing but victory will make up for seven barren years. Harvard men are going to Princeton in greater numbers than ever before this Saturday confident that the series of ties and defeats is at last to be broken. With the Princeton game a bigger objective than ever in the past, the University team has the unquestioned support and confidence of every undergraduate. Harvard expects to win.

But unquestioned confidence in the team on the part of the loyal supporters, no matter how glorious it may be even in defeat, can not in itself win football games. That depends on the coaches and the team; but, from them Harvard is demanding victory and will be satisfied with nothing else. "England" signalled Admiral Nelson. "expects every man to do his duty". Harvard knows that every man on the team will do his duty and Harvard is expecting the team to win.