SWIMMING POOL IS BIGGEST NEED-MOORE

Moore Thinks Logical Place for Pool is Behind Hemenway--Accessibility is Most Important Factor

"Some thing ought to be done about it,--a swimming pool is the thing which Harvard needs most of all at present" said Mr. F. W. Moore' '93 Graduate-Treasurer of the Harvard Athletic Association when questioned yesterday in regard to the recent agitation throughout the college for a new swimming pool.

"If you go to Williams, Amherst, Andover, or Exeter,--to any of the smaller colleges or larger preparatory schools" he said, "you will find in each of them a regulation swimming pool. Yet at Harvard, with one of the largest enrollments in the country, the students are limited to one small and inadequate pool."

Mr. Moore then declared that the H. A. A. still had available funds for a swimming pool to be built as an addition to the Hemenway Gymnasium. Plans had, he said, been drawn up last spring, had been approved by the Athletic Committee and then submitted to the Planning Board and the Corporation, with whom they still remain. No action has been taken since then; and the Athletic Association, which had hoped to begin work during the summer, was forced to abandon the project until action should be taken by the corporation.

Planning Board Raises Objection

The chief objection raised to the H. A. A. plans for a swimming pool adjoining Hemenway was that the new structure was not in accordance with the future construction of the Planning Board.

"Aside from the matter of expense" he said "there is the matter of accessibility. The Hemenway Gymnasium is in a central position, easily reached from all parts of the University. That is a very important consideration.

"To place the swimming pool near the river, or across it, in Soldiers Field, as has been suggested, would greatly limit its usefulness.

"If the Athletic Association is to succeed in its efforts to provide athletics for everybody', it must make exercise easy for those men with limited time and other occupations.

Popularity Depends on Accessibility

"Take for example squash. Ever since the building of the University Squash Courts on Linden street, the number of men playing squash increased enormously. This popularity was due largely to the fact that squash had been made convenient. Men could come in during the morning and play between lectures; they could come late in the afternoon when it was too dark for outdoor exercise."

Mr. Moore then declared that a swimming pool should fill much the same need in the University as do the squash courts. It should be primarily for those men who have not time to take part in some regularly organized sport. For that reason, he said, a pool adjoining Hemenway Gymnasium in the center of the University would be of greatest service to the largest number of men.