DECLARES M'DONALD PUT LABOR IN POWER

Calls Rupture in Ranks of Labor Most Probable Cause of Fall--Thinks Lloyd George Great Champion of Ideal

The Labor Party would never have come into power in British politics if there had not been a leader with vision and foresight such as Ramsay MacDonald said Mr. Sidney Wicks, editor of the Manchester Guardian, and prominent educator and politician speaking at the Liberal Club at luncheon yesterday afternoon.

Internationalism His Power

"A short two or three years ago, he was one of the most hated men in England, Mr. Wicks declared, "but his extraordinary moral consistency has brought him rapidly to the fore to occupy the leading position in British politics today. His chief power is his internationalism, in which lies the hope of the world. Mr. MacDonald is a cultured, educated man; a man who has travelled extensively and studied personally conditions in every province in the Kingdom. His many acquaintances among the democratic elements throughout the world give him a remarkable background of experience. He will endeavor to create a fine record of legislative, achievement, and there is a strong sentiment among the British people that he is the man of the hour. He will be difficult to defeat if he continues as he is going now, although his danger does not lie with the people as much as with a rupture in his own party."

Says Liberals Lost Moral Enthusiasm

Mr. Wicks' subject was "Liberalism and the British Labor Party," and he recounted the reasons for the present failure of Liberalism--in England today. "We failed because of our association with 'militarism'; because our words were big and our deeds small; because Asquith faltered when strong measures were required on the Irish question, but chiefly because we lost our moral enthusiasm, which is the driving force of a political party.

Thinks Lloyd George May Return

Mr. Wicks is touring the country in the interests of the Manchester guardian. When questioned by a CRIMSON reporters over the possibility of Lloyd George being returned to power, Mr. Wicks said that at present Mr. Lloyd George is remaining quiet, but if ever occasion demands a figure to champion an ideal, Lloyd George is the man, for there is no man in England who appears to better advantage "riding a white charger and championing a cause."