SMITH COLLEGE WORKSHOP VISITS BOSTON TOMORROW

TO COMPETE IN LITTLE THEATRE TOURNAMENT

Under the direction of Professor S. A. Eliot Jr. '13, the Theatre Workshop of Smith College comes to Boston tomorrow to take part in the Massachusetts Little Theatre Tournament now being held at the Fine Arts Theatre.

The Workshop at Smith was founded seven years ago on the model of Professor Baker's "47 Workshop" at Harvard. Professor Eliot who originated the Workshop at the Northampton college, had much experience in producing plays before he joined the Smith faculty. He worked for a year with Winthrop Ames in New York, and later directed Little Theatre companies in Indianapolis and Cincinnati, and has edited several volumes of one-act plays, published as "The Little Theatre Classics." At Harvard he studied under his uncle, Professor Baker.

Since he became a member of the English Department at Smith, Professor Eliot has directed a large number of productions given by both the Workshop, which he founded, and the Senior class. The performance of "False Gods" and later of Andreyev's "The Black Maskers" gained Professor Eliot considerable fame in theatrical circles, both on account of the elaborate settings required and the acting of the young women he coached.

Tomorrow's trip to Boston, however marks the first time that the Theatre Workshop has acted outside of Northampton. The performance at the Fine Arts Theatre tomorrow night will be one of four given by Little Theatre companies competing in the Massachusetts Little Theatre tournament.

Yesterday a bill of four experimental one-act plays was given at Smith, and Professor Eliot will choose from these the one best acted and with the most finished scenery. The choice lies between Beatrice Major's "Thirty Minutes in a Street", with 20 characters in the cast, at one extreme, and Diona Barnes' "The Dove", with three, at the other. It is expected, however, that because of its gorgeous setting and costumes, Professor, Eliot will bring Dunsany's "Compromise of the King of the Golden Isles" to Boston.