BROAD DAYLIGHT

The people of Massachusetts have at last acquired the legal right to save as much daylight as befits their needs or whims. The recent decision of the Supreme Court to this effect has been interpreted as help for home rule, as hope for quicker legal action in the future. To the farmer it can only mean getting out of bed earlier in the morning than is his wont, and to the trainmen, a mystifying schedule of changing times which endangers the lives of passengers and others. This was convincingly set forth at the trial of the bill for unconstitutionality.

Yet in spite of the evidence presented to the contrary in Mencken's Green Book of Aphorisms, one can rationally suppose that the genus homo Americanus, who is so used to gathering meaning from ordinary tables, box scores and bond quotation lists will prove equal to the task of supporting an annual change of time. At any rate the people have received a new right of untold possibilities, for now they can set their clocks when and where they choose with no fear of chiding from a law-stricken conscience.