THE VOICE OF THE STENTOR

There is a loquacious ghost living in the White House. It appears only to newspaper men and is known as the Official Spokesman. Out of its ectoplasmic mouth come the public bulls of the President of the United States. Time has made the reporters accustomed, though not resigned, to the Official Spokesman. Once a subject for jest, it has come to be accepted by them as a grim reality. Since the executive is speechless, and since someone must talk, the correspondents go weekly into a scance with the Official Spokesman.

Recently, however, the President temporarily recovered his power of speech, and in an almost gossipy interview with Bruce Barton, widely known through his efforts to bring religion down to the intelligence of his public, gave his sentiments on numerous topics of modern conversation--but avoiding all mention of politics. The paprters, astounded that he who could not, did speak, objected strenuously. Where, they asked in righteous indignation, where was their friend, the Official Spokesman? And if he had been superseded, why were they not given a chance for a scoop?

Then, calmly, gently, with Grecian repose, the executive relapsed into silence. And the Official Spokesman again was heard, this time telling the defiant ones that the President had talked not of his politics, but of his personaltiy. If he choses Bruce Barton as his confidante, in preference to more inquisitive souls, that, after all, was his own business. Henceforth, however, the President was to be quite mute. Again the chatty wraith would roam Capitol Hill. The reporters went away musing, and thinking that possibly the executive was not nearly so speechless as he appeared.