EVASION BY ANONYMITY

Anonymity is a convenient shelter from which to shoot ink-venomed arrows at the broad target of worldly foibles. Unfortunately this system, so advantageous to the attacker, has come under the ban common to all unsportsmanlike conduct. Ever since the Arabian nights, the public has regarded invisibility as an unfair weapon.

In deference to this universal opinion, the CRIMSON has, except under special circumstances, excluded all anonymous communications from publication. On the other hand, if a man is willing to be responsible for his statements, and has a pertinent message, the CRIMSON is glad to extend the courtesy of its columns; the single requirement is a signature.

For obvious reasons, it is impossible to verify handwritings. And consequently opportunity exists to shield opinions with another's name. Fortunately such forgeries as that of which Mr. G. O. Carpenter Jr. '02 was recently the victim are relatively rare. And one hopes that in the future courageous sponsoring of convictions will entirely replace the cowardice of anonymous forgery.