CHESS PLAYERS PLAN AMBITIOUS SCHEDULE

Elect 20 New Members to Club at First Meeting--To Play in Intercollegiate and Boston Leagues

The Harvard Chess Club, at its first meeting of the year, held last Wednesday at the Union, admitted 20 new candidates and outlined ambitious plans for this season's program, according to G. F. Gravell '28, president of the club.

At the meeting an exhibition of simultaneous play was staged by F. R. Chevalier '29, who scored 13 wins and one loss, and a short talk was given by Adrien Gambet '25, former president of the organization.

The schedule of matches to be held this year includes the following:

The University players will meet Yale on November 18, and will subsequently compete in the Metropolitan Class League of Boston during the winter season. In this tournament Harvard was runner-up in 1926-27. The University will also enter the intercollegiate matches against Yale. Princeton, and West Point in New York during the Christmas vacation, the first board to be played by Chevalier, who is the individual Intercollegiate League champion.

Freshman inter-dormitory chess competition will be held in the winter and spring for the Kenna trophy, which was donated by R. K. Kenna '17; and exhibitions will be given during the year by prominent players of Boston and vicinity.