UNION TO HEAR SPEAKER KNOWN AS ENGLISH CONRAD

TO LECTURE AT UNION FRIDAY EVENING AT 8 O'CLOCK

H. M. Tomlinson, whose recent novel "Galleons Reach" has placed him in much the same position of Conrad in 1915 when his "Chance" appeared, will speak at the Union on Friday evening, at 8 o'clock in the Living Room. Tomlinson is coming to the Union chiefly through the efforts of the Harvard English Department.

Tomlinson's name is little known except to those in that group who follow literature closely; yet it is almost the unanimous opinion of that group that Tomlinson is entering a fame closely analagous to that of Joseph Conrad. Conrad had been writing for twenty years before "Chance" aroused the applause of the public. A perusal of all previous Conrad books followed and books long on the market were hailed as great.

Was Fleet Street Reporter

Tomlinson has been a fleet street newspaper man for a decade. Back in 1910 he accompanied an expedition to explore the further reaches of the Amazon. In the tramp steamer "The Capella", the party penetrated to the last thousand miles of the tropical river, which was the first time the feat had been accomplished. Tomlinson told the story in his "Sea and the Jungle", which appeared in 1910 and the first editions of which are now selling at $75 a copy.

The book is not a novel, but simply a story of the expedition. Between 1910 and the appearance of "Galleons Reach" Tomlinson wrote "Old Junk", "London River", "Waiting for Daylight", "Under the Red Ensign", and "Gifts of Fortune". Many of these were written Dicken's wise,--as sketches which Tomlinson prepared as a journalist for weekly publication. Such is the reputed origin of "Old Junk" and "Waiting for Daylight.

"Galleons Reach" is Tomlinson's first attempt at a novel. Published in England by William Heineman and in the United States by Harpers, it brought him immediate fame. He has been termed the English Conrad, but the metaphore refers more to the nature of the coming of his fame and his subject matter than to any imitative likeness of Conrad's style or method of treatment. The subject matter of the two men is the same, but the two styles of writing are essentally different.

Mr. Tomlinson is coming to the United States for the first time. In 1910, his boat "The Capella", stopped in a port of Florida, but immediately continued to England.