FRESHMAN HANDBALL SINGLES TOURNAMENT WON BY MATZ

Standish Hall Representative Is Interdormitory Champion

In the final round of the Freshman Interdormitory handball singles tournament yesterday B. S. Matz '31, representing Standish Hall, defeated R. L. Vonckx '31 of Smith Hall by the scores of 21 to 19, 21 to 9, and 21 to 17. The doubles tournament will be held following the vacation among all Freshmen who play handball for their winter exercise.

Matz, now the Freshman singles handball champion, gained the final round of the tournament by his victory over A. L. Kowarsky '31 of Standish Hall, and Vonckx, the runner-up for the championship, entered the match after defeating E. B. Cohen '31, representing Gore Hall.

Fifty four men competed in the tournament which has been under way throughout December. In the semi-final and final rounds the men played for the best three out of five games and in the preliminary matches the winner had to take two out of three games.

Immediately after the vacation those Freshmen who are taking handball for their winter sport will play in teams of two for the doubles championship. This second tournament will also count in the standing of the Freshman Halls in the Interdormitory League.