MEANS TO AN END

The energy with which Mr. Bingham has pursued the "Athletics for All" policy, and the great response which it has already evoked have effectively demonstrated the inadequacy of Harvard University's physical equipment for extended intramural sports. This in itself is a significant substantiation of the fact that up to a year ago at least Harvard was by no means free from the intercollegiate disease of stadrumitis which was making potentially able-bodied young men into bench warmers on the Cheering Section.

Since 1920 there has been vociferous, though somewhat sporadic agitation for more attention to the athletic facilities of the student body in general. However, none of the appeals for a new gymnasium, for a swimming pool worthy of the name, for more tennis courts and playing fields, attracted the attention which has finally been forced upon the athletic authorities by the success of the new policy.

The announcement made public today of the erection for use next fall of 12 to 16 tennis courts and 6 or 7 aeries of playing fields opposite Soldiers Field is a first step promising well for future activity in the same direction. Final action is, of course, subject to the approval of the Corporation, but that, in this case, may fairly be assumed a fore gone conclusion. Indoor athletic facilities are, however, in even greater need of improvement and extension. May the energy of Mr. Bingham, for instance, materialize in the near future the often rumored but at present highly intangible new gymnasium and swimming pool and swimming the means to sustain the spirit of "Athletics for All".