FRANCIS BRETT YOUNG WILL SPEAK AT UNION

YOUNG NOTED AS AUTHOR OF "SEA HORSES" AND "DARK TOWER"

Francis Brett Young, the British novelist, will talk on "The Form of a Novel" in the Living Room of the Union on Thursday at 7.30 o'clock. He is the author of "Sea Horses", "The Young Physician", and "The Dark Tower."

Young's talk will be primarily concerned with the writing of novels and will contain quite a little literary "shop" talk. He will give not only his ideas on his own writings but also views on the profession in general.

Young was born in England and went to the University of Birmingham, where he studied for the medical profession. After he took his degree he sailed for several years through the East as a ship's surgeon, gathering experiences and ideas for the books which he later wrote.

On the outbreak of the Great War he obtained a commission in the medical service and spent three years fighting in the tropical climate of South and East Africa. During his stay there he contracted malaria and found after the war that he was unable to live in England because of the climate and unable to continue his medical work because it was too great a strain. As a consequence of this he retired to the island of Capri in the Bay of Naples in 1918, where he has been studying and writing since.

Several of his friends, among them Compton Mackenzie and John Masefield, persuaded him to come to this country to gain new themes on which to base stories, and to study the people who form one of the largest groups which reads his stories.

This is one of the last places that Young will speak before he returns home.