Reviewer Suggests Punch or La Vie Parisienne as Tenic for Lampy's Draughtsmen--"Humorous Weekly Must be Funny"

The following review of the current issue of the Lampoon was written especially for the Crimson by J. B. Abbott '18, a former member of the Lampoon board.

The Lampoon is sadly in need of some draughtsmen on its editorial staff. A sound knowledge of drawing and particularly of anatomy is essential to the successful humorous artist or caricaturist. To distort the human figure it is first necessary to know how to draw it normally. Look at the work of Frank Reynolds or Ernest Shepard of "Funch" and also cast a lingering glance upon the efforts of Fournier and Brunner in "La Vie Parisienne".

It is, of course, the Lampoon's policy to make the paper as distinct as possible from the Natchez (Tenn.) Polytechnic "Blowpipe" and the Princeton (N. J.) "Tiger". But, I think, that in the fervid ness of these utterly admirable intentions the editors have lost sight of the fact that a good humorous weekly should be funny and carry good drawings.

The present number is labelled "Spring" and indulges in a pleasing shade of light apple green on the cover. I believe there have been many better numbers than this, for the jokes seem to lack that subtlety which is usually the Lampoon's raison d'etre. The funniest of these to me is that on top of page 135. "The Abbot of Oldham" is mildly amusing as is also the worm epic, the last sentence of which approaches the heights of Mr. Larrabee's work in 1921. No so much can be said for the "Inkings" in this number, with the possible exception of the "Ten Guineas". The nod in the direction of George Ade is all well enough, but unnecessary. I am sure that Mr. Ade would not notice any plagiarism. Certainly the chemical explosion has been done before in every conceivable way and I cannot see that Mr. Foster's work is any great addition to the multitude. Mr. Jones' Choatesque drawing may be all very well, but I still think Maxfield Parrish is in no danger.

I realize that this literary effort will not particularly endear me to anyone on the Board, but I do believe that Lampy should demand a higher degree of draughtmanship in his published drawings and I have seen vastly more humorous Lampoon literature than in the current issue.