Second Fiddle

THE PRESS

Seniors in the academic department and in Sheffield Scientific School at New Haven, selecting their "favorite college next to Yale", differ widely as to whether the coveted second place should fall to Princeton or Harvard. "Ac" prefers Cambridge culture by a 12-point margin but the husky engineers of "Shef" are apparently repelled by Harvard's reputed aestheticism, and pass her by entirely in favor of Princeton, Dartmouth and Smith. Consequently, in the combined total Princeton takes a considerable lead.

Yet neither Harvard nor Princeton need take this dictum too much to heart, for other choices among the Yale senior statistics arouse suspicion of bias or weakness of judgement. For why should "Shef" rank Greta Garbo high among the beloved actresses of the screen, at the same time entirely neglecting Lya de Putti? Since the attractions of these two charming ladies are closely allied by a certain common denominator, one would expect them to be equally appreciated by the Yale man-about-Chapel-Street, so renowned in ribald Princeton and Harvard verse. So we earnest hope that this balloting will not bring on an epidemic of inferiority complex at either college. Daily Princetonian, March 22.