TREASURE ROOM SHOWS VALUABLE BIBLIOPHILIA

PRECURSOR OF MODERN BOOK OF ETIQUETTE SHOWN

The exhibition which has recently been put in the cases in the Treasure Room of Widener Library is as variegated and interesting as any held this year.

The rarest feature of the exhibition is two leaves from an ancient Latin grammar, one of the first text books printed in England. The only other remnants of this early edition known to be extant, are two similar leaves now in the keeping of the British Museum.

These two leaves were obtained by soaking apart the bindings of an old book. This pasteboard binding had been made by glueing together odd pages, two of which were the rare old leaves now on exhibition. The leaves were used for binding because they contained errors, as was discovered by comparing them with corresponding pages of Latin editions of the same text-book for which they were intended.

Tenth Century Leaves Displayed

Another feature of the current exhibition is two Greek manuscripts. One of these, consisting of six leaves of uncial letters, is among the oldest works in the library, probably dating back to the ninth or tenth century. The other is of the twelfth century. Both were the gifts of Edward Everett, 1811.

There are also on display several different editions illustrating the development of the story of Reynard the Fox. One of these, printed in England in 1701 is entitled "History of Reynard the Fox, Newly Corrected and Purged from All Grossness in Phrase and Matter." The other editions are in Latin or German.

The most amusing volume on display is a precursor of the modern books of etiquette, printed in 1685, and entitled "The Mysteries of Love and Eloquence, or, the Arts of Wooing and Complimenting," as they are managed in the Spring Garden, Hide Park, the New Exchange and other eminent places. The contents of the book are further set off in the phrases "And to compleat the young Practitioners of Love and Courtship, these following conducing Helps are chiefly insisted on: Addresses and set Forms of Expression for imitation, Poems, pleasant Songs, Letters, Proverbs, Riddles, Jests, Posies, Devices, Ala-Mode Pastimes; a Dictionary for the making of Rimes, Four hundred and fifty delightful Questions, with their several answers.

Rare Byron Shown

Another rare book in the cases is the fifth edition of "English Bards and Scotch Reviewers" by Byron. This edition is extremely uncommon because he caused it to be suppressed for personal reasons, shortly after it was put upon the presses.

In another case is a profusely illuminated diploma with which the University at Padua conferred the degree of Ph.D. upon Giacomo Pasquall on December 18, 1656. It contains a picture of the successful scholar together with a representation of his coat of arms, all surrounded by the most colorful decoration.

Another old work on exhibition is an extremely interesting book called "The Treatysse of Fysshynge with an Angle."

There are a number of interesting pictures on exhibition as well as these books. Among these is a photograph of John the Orangeman sitting in his cart, and another is a reproduction in colour of an old engraving, called "A Prospect of the Colledges in Cambridge in New England," showing Harvard and Massachusetts Halls.