LACROSSE TEAM TAKES MATCH FROM ALUMNI

Informal Opening Game Results in 5 to 1 Victory--Coach Hunter Sees Room for Improvement

Showing an early season form which had not been expected the University lacrosse team downed a strong, experienced Alumni twelve yesterday by a score of 5 to 1. The game was featured by clean playing and the new penalty for cutting an opponents hoed with a lacrosse stick had to be enforced only once, on R. P. Kantor, '24, of the Alumni team.

The first half was evenly played, the University scoring only two goals. The first score was made by Francis Rouillard '23 captain of the 1923 team, when he kicked the ball into his own goal in a hot scrimmage. The second marker was also made from scrimmage after a fast triple pass by C. O. Simpson '27 when both of the opposing defense men were drawn out of position.

In the second period the strain of the fast play began to show on the graduate team and the play centered around its own goal. R. F. Murphy '27 scored the third goal for the University stickmen and then C. P. McQuaid '23 running half the length of the field made a fast shot to the ropes which the goalguard was unable to intercept. The Alumni's single point came when William Babson '25, skirted the University's defense men unnoticed and, taking a long pass, evaded G. A. Weller '29, the University goal, to score. In the closing minutes of the game, Captain M. W. Linn '27 took the ball from a scrimmage and scored after bewildering his man.

Coach Hunter, in speaking of the team's form after the game declared its work good but far from what he expected it to do on the southern trip. He hopes for an improvement in its passing game before it meets Union on the 13th.

The summary:

HARVARD  ALUMNIWeller g.  g. CurtisGamache pt.  pt. WielandMarkweth c.pt.  c.pt., RouillardLane f.d.  f.d. JeffersPark s.d.  s.d. ReedSayles t.d.  t.d. KantorMurphy c.  c. SullivanDreier t.a.  t.a. GilliesShapiro s.a.  s.a. WestmanLinn f.a.  f.a. BabsonSimpson o.h.  o.h. GustafsonWallace i.h.  i.h. Abbi