Harvard Expression of Impervious Indifference Is Meet for Hollywood--Williams Favors College Canvass

"The First National Pictures' canvass for college men is a good move," said W. A. Williams '15 who is playing the leading roles in the Gilbert and Sullivan Operas now being given at the Plymouth Theatre.

"Long ago producers on the stage realized the value of college men and it is not surprising that the moving picture directors are now turning to the colleges for material. Although it seems to be comparatively easy for the "movies" to recruit its actresses, the men do not seem to flock to Hollywood in such great numbers. This present nation-wide campaign is an excellent step, and, in addition to any men they may find, they are sure of a great deal of very good advertising. They have proved the value of an education for movie actresses in their school at Hollywood, in which they have trained four of their leading performers, and they appear to have decided to apply this lesson in trying the colleges.

"Acting before the camera is much harder than performing on the stage. It requires more facial expression, especially with the eyes and every slight movement of the face or head which would be overlooked on the stage is caught by the impartial eye of the camera. In acting for the moving pictures one does not have the aid of one's voice, which, I find, is a very great asset on the stage. With all these means of expression cut off, the movie actor must rely almost entirely upon his or her face. As a result an actor must have something behind his face in order to maintain a high standard of acting."

When confronted with the question of whether he did not think that Harvard, the center for America's sophisticated youth, was hardly the place from which to choose the actors. Mr. Williams smiled and said, "No, the Harvard type is just what they want. With his perfectly impervious expression of indifference and his deep resouceful eye, the Crimson undergraduate is just the man for Hollywood."