AN IRRECONCILABLE

That fiery little weekly. The New Student, continues on its youthful and unconventional career, undisturbed by the sheers of conservatives and wholeheartedly in support of the most advanced policies in undergraduate thought. Up holding such a position, the publication occasionally strays from the course of sanity but on the whole it is surprisingly sound in its principles.

The New Student has filled a definite need. It is professional and it is unrestrained by any official bonds; whatever attitude it takes is dependent on the intrinsic merit of the issue and is in no manner connected with any prejudices--unless it be those of radicalism. As a resume of what is taking place in America's institutions of higher learning it is a through reporter, very nicely adjusting the relations of athletics and other distractions to the primarily function of a college or university, that is to say the function of education.

There will always be a certain class which will scoff at such journals as The New Student and which will damn them with the stigma of being a pale pink rather than a blood red. And there are times when such a view is justified. As to this particular publication, however, the contrary holds true. In its sincerity and its very real sympathy for the high ideals for which colleges are striving. The New Student has shown itself a valuable addition to the ranks of constructive critics of modern pedagogies.