FIRST FLIGHT

With the mailing of the CRIMSON'S Concentration Pamphlet and with President Lowell's impending talk on the very important subject of choosing a field, the members of the Freshman class prepare for a decision on which rests the remainder of their college work. For the past fortnight the CRIMSON has published articles written in an advisory and intimate manner by the heads of the various departments wherein the high lights and pitfalls of different specialties have been discussed. The, collection of these pieces into a unit in which the general system of concentration and its several divisions are considered is intended to be a supplement to the more personal assistance which Freshman advisors may render. It is offered to that large majority whose mind is at present wavering between a half-formed choice and an individual fancy.

The CRIMSON feels that this series has been a successful effort in removing certain misunderstandings, since each article has not only examined the broad topic of its own field but also the manner in which that field is treated in Harvard University, including some of the major problems which one encounters in planning a schedule of one's courses. Next Tuesday the President of the University will talk to the Freshmen, proffering counsel which has always proved exceptionally enlightening in the past and which will, doubtless, aid once more in the practical solution of this annual problem.