CRIMSON NINES DOWN TWO TEAMS IN EASY TILTS

Freshmen Make Their Best Showing of the Spring to Down Worcester Team in Workmanlike Fashion

Two Harvard nines found easy victims on Soldiers Field diamonds last Saturday when the University ball players trounced Amherst 8 to 0, and the Freshmen team administered a 6 to 2 defeat to the Worcester Academy nine.

J. N. Barbee '28, who was unable to work against Pennsylvania Friday, pitched excellent ball in the first team tilt, limiting the losers to five scattered hits, allowing only six men to reach first and only one Amherst player to get around to third.

Kellogg, the Amherst southpaw moundsman, was nicked for only five hits in as many frames but issued nine passes and was relieved by Pratt.

Amherst Plays Loose Game

The Crimson cause was materially aided by the gift of ten bases on balls and five miscues afield on the part of the Lord Jeffs. The University players, on the other hand, turned in an almost flayless game in the field, while Barbee gave no free bases.

The winners broke into the scoring column in the second frame when Barbee drew a pass and scored on Burns' hit to center field. Two more tallies, both unearned, were added to the Crimson total in the fifth. Donaghy walked and reached second when Trenchard threw wild after picking up Barbee's bunt. The bases were loaded when Wilson failed to cover first on Burns' bunt to Walker Jones, grounded to first, but Trenchard dropped the throw home, allowing Donaghy to score. Barbee crossed, the plate a minute later on Zarakov's sacrifice hit.

Chauncey and Donaghy, getting on base by a pass and a single, scored two more runs for Harvard in the sixth. The eighth frame saw the Crimson point-total swelled to eight, when consecutive hits by Ullman, Donaghy, Barbee, and a fumble in the Amherst outfield netted two runs, and Burns walked, stole, and took advantage of Zarakov's single and Wilson's error to cross the plate.

Donaghy and Burns Star

Donaghy starred at bat for Harvard with three hits out of three times at bat while Burn's diving catch of Campbell's liner over second base was the brightest spot in the afternoon's fielding.

Manager R. A. Magowan '27, has announced that the first game with Brown, originally scheduled to be played at Soldiers Field on May 7, will take place at Brovidence on that date. The clash with the Brown nine on May 30 will also be at Providence.