FALL ROWING DISCLOSES POWER ON CREW SQUADS

200 OARSMEN TURN OUT FOR 1932 PRACTICE WORK

The following article, the first of a serres on crew, was written especially for the Crimson by C. H. Pforzheimer '28, assistant coach and former University coxswain.

Fall rowing this year occupied a shorter time than usual. Starting the first week in October, some ten or 11 crews practiced on the Charles five days a week until the final three mile race on October 31. The same policy of mingling University squad men and class crew, inaugurated by Coach E. J. Brown '96 in the fall of 1926, prevailed; the only differentiation made being that of weight. The heavy men, boated into five eights worked out under Coach Brown himself; while the 150-pound squad was in charge of F. R. Sullivan '26.

Heavy Boat Includes Veterans

The heavy squad included all the H men from last year's varsity shell except Captain Clark, who at present is holding a first string tackle berth on the University eleven; and Guy Murchie '29 who is running cross country. Besides these men, there are the oarsmen from last year's Freshman boat, only one of whom is at present ineligible because of scholastic difficulties. Five of the men from last year's championship class crew also were out regularly. The rest of the squad was composed of other class and dormitory crew men. For the first time in several years, there were almost enough upper-class coxswains for the number of crews on the river.

Oarsmen are Rotated

Coach Brown followed his usual policy of rowing men on both sides of the boat thereby creating a facility in handling either a port or a starboard oar, which facility doubles the man's chance to find a place in one of the varsity boats. In addition to this shifting, the head coach adhered to his policy of rotating various men in the stroke position and also in the coxswain's seat. As in the past under Coach Brown, the ultimate choice of a cox will rest with the oarsmen themselves.

Race Results Gratifying

The results of the three races, which were a mile and three quarters, four miles and three miles, respectively were extremely gratifying. Most of the crews were very evenly matched with all those rowing showing up better than a year ago. In the last race, over a course of three miles, the first two crews finished a scant six feet apart; the stroking in both cases being very fine, showing a good deal of headwork and racing instinct on the part of these two strokes.

During the coming spring Coach Brown will direct the varsity squad of three, and later two crews: F. R. Sulli can will coach the 150-pound squad; while C. D. Hubbard '24 will manage the class crews. In all, good results may be looked for this spring.

The Freshman Class responded unusually well to the call for candidates in September. Some '25 experienced and 175 unexperienced men reported. The latter began in the Leviathan at once, thereby eliminating the drabness of machine, work, and were soon placed in barges under the direction of Coach Halnes. These men culminated their fall rowing with an, interdormitory race on November 9