Rodemich, Metropolitan Jazz Specialist, Philosophizes Over Whims of Fans--Recognizes Habitues from Stage

"A name will always draw a big audience; take Fanny Ward for instance, the house was sold out, but when the people left the theatre they all felt a bit vicious about having come, and yet they'll attend again the next night. Yes, a good name means a great deal in our line of business."

Gene Rodemich, who has been leading the orchestra for the Metropolitan Theatre this fall, leaned back in his chair as he talked in his dressing room yesterday afternoon. "However, there are many other factors that help to draw large audiences. For instance it is remarkable what a difference an actor's makeup will create. You, know that negro who sang in the performance last week, with a high silk hat and tramp's clothing? Well, he didn't represent any thing particularly in those clothes, yet he got away big. Now they've been trying to get him to change his costume for two years, and yet they can't find any other clothing in which he'll be a success. One night we had him appear in a tuxedo and he was a flat failure," the jazz specialist continued.

Asked about his audiences, Rodemich said that it was a curious fact that he could recognize in the theatre each week a number of habitues. "They're people from all social classes," he remarked, "but of an entirely different type from that which attends vaudeville performances. A big vaudeville head-liner is often unsuccessful in a moving-picture house. In fact, I think the movie-goer is a better type, a more cultural person, than the average vaudeville fan."

In reference to the productions, Rodemich remarked that even when the orchestra was performing, they were "working up" the show. "Sometimes" we think a band number will be a knockout, it proves not to be: we shift things around, and cut parts out, until we finally manage to please the public. What all audiences want is pep: they like the soatimental stuff, but snappy rhythm is always more successful," he concluded.