Straus Common Room to Be Conducted Under Different Policy--Occupants of South End of Yard to Use It

In order to encourage the use of the University's dormitory Common Rooms, several important changes will be made in the one in Straus Hall. It was announced last night by Mathew Luce '91, Regent of the University. The plan is to operate this room in a manner some-what similar to the system instituted in the Freshman Common Rooms.

The new idea calls for two tutors to be present every evening between the hours of 7 and 8 o'clock. These men will be present there for the purpose of friendly discussions with the students on topics of general and academic interest.

As-in the Freshman Common Rooms coffee will be served during the hours mentioned. Periodicals, magazines, and books will be put in the Straus Common Room, and in order to create a more cheerful atmosphere a log fire will be kept burning during the evening hours.

The plan of increasing the use of the Straus Common Room also places it at the disposal of the students in the following dormitories of the South end of the Yard, Grays, Matthews, Straus, Weld, and Massachusetts.

Regent Luce states that the new move was prompted by the success, of the Freshman Common Rooms. At first these also were little used, although they were equipped with everything that a modern club usually has, such as a piano, comfortable lounges, chairs, magazines, and a few books. But the rooms for some reason failed to attract the Freshmen until the idea of having some of the proctors start discussion groups after dinner was initiated. A fire was kept going all the time and coffee was served. The Common Rooms are now a success, as is evidenced by the large number of first year men who make use of them. It is expected that the innovation in the Straus Hall Common Room will have the same results.

At present Straus Hall Common Room is artistically decorated with velvet art-squares, draperies, a grand piano, longes, and easy chairs, and with the additional features of having coffee served, magazines and periodicals to read, and logfires, it is expected that the place will prove more attractive to the students in that section of the Yard.