BUSINESS SCHOOL IS TO BE COPIED BY FRANCE

DORIOT EXPLAINS PURPOSE OF NEW INSTITUTE IN PARIS

"That a new business school in Paris has long been the dream of French financiers is well known," said Georges F. Doriot. professor of Industrial Management in the Business School when interviewed yesterday, "but it has hardly been as generally bruited about that those dreams have already begun to materialize, in the form of a Bureau of Business Research and a Graduate School of Business modeled after the Graduate School of Business Administration here at Harvard."

"The new school's first term," said Professor Doriot, "will begin in November, 1931. It is under the direction of M. Pierre Jolly, Head of the Research Department of the Chamber of Commerce of Paris, and also leading light in a new research organization that will collect cases for the school. To complete his plans for its curriculum, M. Jolly will spend the month of February in Cambridge, studying the methods of approach of the Harvard Business School."

Like its prototype, the new school will be open only to graduates. In fact, the standard will be so high that students will have to have studied four years in graduate schools before they will be eligible. "But," Professor Doriot points out, "that is not as difficult as it may seem, since in France the requirements for a B.A. are slightly below those in our best colleges, and incidentally much more standardized. A student is generally elig ible for his degree when about eighteen."

This will be the first school anywhere in Europe to give a business education comparable to that provided at Harvard. Professor Dorlot emphasized, the point that M. Jolly's difficulties in designing his school after an American model lay in the fact the whole French system of education is conducted on basis entirely different from the American. "Then, too," he said, "there was the opposition of European manufacturers to overcome. They do not believe in cooperation, and are jealous to hide from each other their individual business methods