C. F. Adams '88 Would Have Divided University Into Group of Houses in 1906--Announces Plan in Address at Columbia

The following quotation, one of the earliest known references to the "House" plan, is an excerpt from an address made by Charles Francis Adams '88 before the Columbia Phi Beta Kappa on June 12, 1906 in New York City. This address was mentioned by President Lowell in his annual report as one of the first instances of such a plan's being mentioned publicly.

In the case of Harvard, I would, were it in my power, discontinue absolutely, and wholly break up, the traditional academic system; Harvard College, save in name and continuity, should cease to exist.

In place of it I would have a number of colleges, all independent, at the head of each of which should be a master--if you like, a president. Those colleges should be so limited in size that individuality would be not only possible but a necessary part of the system. The master should know every student. Instructors and students should constitute a large household under several roofs and with common grounds independence and individuality under suitable restrictions should be the underlying motive.

The university with its elaborate machinery of instruction would then come into play to supplement college instruction. The university professors would teach; and the students of each college, under the supervision and by the advice of the master of the college, would select their courses. The system of general university electives would be combined with prescribed home courses in each individual college. The master would give tone and character to his college, and to each individual student in it. The final degree, bearing the name and seal of Harvard, would be conferred as the result of examinations in common, all the colleges competing.