Painting by Botticelli Lost for Centuries is Purchased for the Fogg Art Museum Collection--Persian Exhibition Continues

Authorities of the Fogg Museum of Art have announced the recent acquisition of a rare Botticelli, "Saviour with the Crown of Thorns". This painting was lost for centuries but was finally discovered by Agnew and Company, of New York City. It has been purchased, after long consideration, by means of the fund known as "The Friends of the Fogg Museum Fund" and can now be seen in Gallery XII.

In referring to this picture, Dr. Raimond Von Marle, an art-expert, writes in the October issue of "International Studio"; "I hesitated for a long time before I finally came to the conclusion that the picture of the "Saviour with the Crown of Thorns" is a work of Botticelli, himself. It is a rather delicate matter to include a new work among the productions of a painter of such fame as Botticelli. The reader however should keep in mind that this is not supposed to be one of the master's great and imposing productions but a modest work the like of which Botticelli soms to have created only on rare occasions.

"In this little picture on linen under consideration we observe no intentional refinements; it is direct, simple, and spontaneous, full of real feeling, direct inspiration and a mastery of execution which seeks no effects. Everything is lightly indicated. The figure of Christ seems demoralized: in this instance the artist indulges in too spiritual a conception to produce plastically sound forms."

In Gallery XIV a loan exhibition of Persian Painting will be on display until Thursday. This exhibition includes some of the objects from the Museum collection as well as notable loans from the Morgan Library, Mrs. John D. Rockefeller, Jr., Mrs. J. Montgomery Sears, Mrs. Joseph L. Valentine, Philip Hofer, Esq., the Ross Collection of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Dr. Edward W. Forbes and Professor Paul J. Sachs. It includes outstanding examples of work from the thirteenth to fourteenth centuries, laying stress upon the important periods of work done during that time.