FRESHMAN ADVISERS

The position of Freshman adviser, which has in the past been so completely futile, can next year be revised to fill a definite need. With the Freshman Class moved to the Yard, and the center of activity completely changed, there will be a grand opportunity for the development and reconstruction of this important phase of Freshman life.

During the past, the deficiencies of the advisers have been numerous. Besides seeing advisees once or twice during the year to sign study cards, the majority of the men have merely asked their Freshmen out to dinner once, for which duty they were paid by the University; some have even neglected that. In many cases, out of contact with first year problems, they have been scarcely qualified to give up-to-date advice on concentration, distribution, and particular courses.

Probably the most effective solution to this difficult problem would be the payment of a definite additional salary to all Freshman advisers, and the establishment in this capacity of as many as possible young graduates, instructors and tutors who have an active interest in all Departments of the University. If this were done, advisers could devote a fair amount of time and trouble to Freshman problems, not only making intelligent suggestions as to curriculum, but also discussing all sorts of outside activity. In this fashion, perhaps by monthly evening gatherings, the adviser would be in close touch with his advisees, helping them, if possible, to avoid scholastic and general difficulties. To accomplish this successfully, since most advisers are men engaged in graduate study, they should receive sufficient compensation for serving one of the greatest needs of first year students.