PROFESSOR BURNS NAMED TO BENCH OF SUPERIOR COURT

Justice Made Distinguished Record in College and Law School--Became Full Professor of Law in March

Professor J. J. Burns of the Harvard Law School was appointed yesterday by Governor Ely, to succeed the late Judge J. D. McLaughlin as justice of the Superior Court of Massachusetts. Professor Burns, who is only 30 years of age, is the youngest man ever to be appointed to the Superior Bench in the state.

After preparing for college at St. Paul's Parochial School in Cambridge, and at the Boston College High School, where he was graduated in 1916, the newly appointed justice graduated from Boston College and then from the Law School. While in Boston College he was a member of the Marquette Debating Society, St. Thomas Aquinas Society, and was an associate editor during his senior year of the "Sub Terri", an undergraduate publication.

Legal Training

He attended Georgetown University Law School in 1921, and in September of 1922 entered the Harvard Law School, where he received his Bachelor of Law degree in 1925; also holding a number of scholarships at Harvard. In 1926, he was appointed reporter of The American Law Institute, and in the same year received the degree of Doctor of Judicial Science from Harvard. During the same year he became associated with the law firm of Gaston, Snow, Saltonstall and Hunt, and worked in general practice of law until 1928, when he was appointed assistant professor of criminal law at Harvard, becoming full professor of law last March.