OBSERVATORY TO OWN 60-INCH LENS SAYS DR. SHAPLEY

Instrument With Accessories Will be Largest in District--New Site Yet Unknown

The Harvard Observatory at Cambridge will soon become possessor of the largest telescope in the east, it was announced last night by Dr. Harlow Shapley in a speech before the annual dinner of the Bond Astronomical Club. It will be of the reflector type, similar in size and in the general details of construction to the 60-inch telescope of the Harvard Observatory now being installed at its southern Station in Bioemfontein, South Africa.

Although for a long time it has been rumored that such a step would take place, as part of the general development taken in recent years by the astronomical for the first time that the move had already been taken, and that as a matter of fact the contract was already in the hands of leading eastern manufacturers, who will bid for the privilege of constructing it. Together with the announcement that the telescope was shortly to be erected, Dr. Shapley discussed other items in the new development plan, including the construction of the new annex to the main building of the plant, and the inauguration of organized systematic work in the study of meteors, a branch of the science which has been neglected until now.

The telescope will be located at a point not more than 25 miles outside of Boston, the definite location of which has not yet been picked, although Dr.

Shapley has for a long time gone over the available territory in the neighborhood. It is probable that at the site where the 60-inch reflector will be lo-equipment will be installed. At the present time ten different telescopes are in use at the Cambridge station of the Observatory. For some of these a considerable gain in effectiveness may be obtained through moving to a higher altitude, and to a greater distance from the dust and light of the city.

No announcement is possible to be made at the present time concerning the material of the large mirror, the details of mounting, or of the net cost of construction, which is being financed, together with the other additions to the plant, by contributions from the University, the Rockefeller Foundation and friends of the department. Accessory equipment will include apparatus for the study of spectra and light variations of the stars, their temperatures, dimensions, and motions. The equipment already in the possession of the plant has been particularly suited to covering fields of large stars; the new reflector will specialize in the closer analysis of individual stars and planets.

Odin Roberts '86, was the first to address the club, speaking on the work of Sir James Jeans, who was guest of honor at the dinner. Miss Margaret Har wood, director of the Maria Mitchell Observatory at Nantucket, discussed the present state of knowledge concerning the major planet Pluto and the asteroid Eros, both of which have been closely studied of recent months. Professor Frederick Slocum, of Wesleyan University, followed with a talk-on the next New England major eclipse, predicted for August 31, 1932, indicated the eclipse weather prospects and probable meteoric conditions.

Extensions Named

The announcement of construction of the 60-inch telescope follows closely upon the statement that a large extension is to be erected during the summer for the double purpose of providing an auditorium for the periodic meetings of the Bond Club, and also to House the stellar library of the Observatory, which is estimated to be the greatest collection of photographs of the stars in the world. Although the annex is to be completed in readiness for the opening of college in the fall, no definite date can be set for the completion of the telescope, since it will depend not only upon the time spent on the instrumental itself, but also upon the construction of a small building to protect it from the weather