THE BALKY MULE

Like a Hardy heroine the Democratic Party stumbles on from distress to disaster. In a crisis it decided to cooperate with the Republican administration. Relief measures were jointly planned and passed under the protection of the white flag, but now the truce has been broken by Republicans, and the Democrats feel extremely hurt by the ingratitude. But so trapped in the web of events has the Democratic Party become that it can do nothing more than complain of betrayal. If Mr. Garner and his cohorts refuse further support to the Hoover Administration, they draw upon their heads blame for prolonging the depression. But if cooperation is continued it is perfectly plain that the Republicans are going to get all the credit for any benefit resulting from relief measures. Yet the Republicans will undoubtedly attribute continued depression to the attempted reconstruction measures of the Democrats, such as the Glass-Steagall Bill.

Thus far the Democrats have hung together in spite of the difficulties which confront any program which they may adopt. Now, however, they question the ability of Mr. Garner to choose the proper course. They have divided on the question of the sales tax. Evidently actuated by strong pressure from their constituents, the Democratic members of the House threaten to revolt against the Speaker, and refuse to pass the new levy.

This division is the greatest misfortune which has yet menaced the illstarred Democrats. As long as they present a united front any record will be a good one to put before the voters in November. But dissension in the ranks will not only blight Democratic chances for the presidential election, but will also block constructive legislation at the present time.