"Army Mule," Long a Symbol of Gray Teams, Was Made Mascot in '90's To Match Navy Goat

Emma, Last Scion of Boston D.S.C., Passed Up For Younger Mule For Stadium Spectacle

Mules have always been a source of trouble, as well as a source of transportation, for the United States Army men. More epithets have been directed against those self-willed animals, than against any other unit of cavalry infantry, or artillery. Gradually, the mule became associated, in the minds of the people, with the doughboys: "As stubborn as an Army mule" became a popular slogan. So it wasn't strange that the West Point cadets, when they were looking around for a mascot, chose the mule.

The mule first found her way into the Army heart through its stomach; she it was who always brought rations up from the rear and her apearance was eagerly awaited by the men. In the Spanish war, mules gained much in prestige by their plucky work dragging light field guns through Philippine hill country. It was a great day for simple, hard working "Maud" when she was rewarded with the title of "Army Mule," and was paraded forth in a new blanket to face the Navy Goat, and equally sad, the first defeat and the loss to the enemy of blanket and pride.

Much of the romance leaves the mascot, however, when we discover each game brings a different representative. While the traditional Army Mule munches his fodder down on the Hudson, local dandies of the species, vie for the honor of performing in the Stadium. This week, it is reported, Emma, who has spent a tedious life hauling garbage in Boston streets, and the only mule in the city, was all brushed and rested in expectation of a sure appointment, when her hopes were dashed by the choice of a younger mule from Fort Devens.

"In the old days," one officer remarked, "when we had a frisky mule and a good cold day, she'd throw the riders in no time, and go out and give us a show, but now the best we can get have to be hit with a barrel stave before they show any action."