SURVEY REVEALS INTEREST IN CLASSICS IS DECREASING

Decline About Eight Percent in Twenty-Three year Period

Classical studies are dying out. While the college, in the last 23 years, has increased in numbers from 2,217 to, 390, the number of students in classical courses has decreased from 430 to 390 and their percentage in the college from 19.3 percent to 11.1 percent. Further, since these sadistic concerning classical students are obtained by adding the numbers of undergraduates registered in the courses, and since many students, undoubtedly, take several classical subjects in one year, the figures given above must be decreased at least one-third to obtain the approximate number of men actually taking such courses.

This decline is less obvious in the number of men registered in classical subjects than in their proportion to the other students. The number fluctuates and on the whole seems to decrease slowly. However, while to remains stationary or declines, the college grows apace. Indeed, while, in the ten years from 1922 to 1932, the number of men concentrating in the classics increased from 50 to 53, in proportion to the college it decreased from 2 to 1.7 per cent.